So, today I was completely craving brownies. Like, full out I NEED IT NOW OR I WILL DIEEE (okay, maybe not that bad – but hey, it was close!). So, I did what any other person would do – I turned to google. After looking up several recipes and reading their reviews, I settled on the basic brownie from Allrecipes.com. I’m still very much a novice (and when I say novice, I completely mean novice) baker, so I left the recipe mostly alone. I’ve just doubled it (so it would fit a 9×13 pan) and changed the salt amount a teensy bit (I lowered it). The brownies turned out to be…well, they were alright. They had a strong dark chocolate taste (I’m more of a milk chocolate girl, so maybe that’s it!), but other than that they were a teensy bit bland. However, they did have that crackly crust! The recipe came with a frosting recipe, but I chose not to make that.
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 1 cup butter (two sticks)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 cup butter. Pour butter into a heat-proof bowl and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Make sure to stir slowly (I did it by hand). Beat in cocoa, flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes (I baked mine for 25 minutes – next time I would try 23/24 minutes)