You see that delicious looking picture up there?
You see it? Looks yummy, doesn’t it? Nice and oozing with smooth chocolate syrup?
I’m starting to think I’m cursed.
Yes I am allowed to be over dramatic. This is the second recipe mishap in a row. Sigh. But on the bright side – I got my new camera in the mail today! No more iPad pictures!
Anyway, back to the recipe. I was so excited for this recipe – the reviews were glowing, the ingredients were simple, I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE the blog it’s from, and hey – it’s chocolate.
Looking back, I
think know it’s my fault it turned out that way. You see, I doubled it so it would fit a 9×13 pan. Since I still have absolutely no idea what I’m doing in the kitchen am relatively new to baking/cooking in general, I have no idea if there’s some sort of ratio of liquid to flour I’m supposed to use or something? I just doubled it, using my handy dandy fraction skills – hey, elementary school was good for something! That’s the only thing I can think of. So, actually, the moral is - don’t dismiss this recipe just because of my baking curse (let’s call it Deborah, shall we?). There’s a reason for all those glowing reviews. I may retry this recipe later, once I finally vanquish Deborah. One post said the batter should be the consistency of a slightly-thick, but still liquid brownie batter. Mine was literally a huge ball of sticky brown dough. Oops. I also ran out of brown sugar, and instead of substituting in regular white sugar to make up the difference like any normal person, I kind of just dumped in the little brown sugar I had and called it a day; of course, the product wasn’t sweet at all.
Yeah, I’m lazy.
The recipe I’ve provided below is the original (so it won’t be enough for a 9×13) because my alterations were such a failure haha
Recipe from How Sweat Eats
Rating – 4/10 (note – that’s just my personal experience! I’ll go back and edit this if I try it again and actually succeed )
Difficulty Level – Easy
Total Time: 50 min (Prep Time=10 min, Cook Time=40 min)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups hot water
1) Preheat oven to 350˚F
2) In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, white sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa.
3) Stir in milk and oil. This is the point I realized that maybe it shouldn’t look like a giant blob of unmoving brownness.
4) Pour into a baking dish. Well, my giant blob wasn’t getting poured anytime soon. So I eventually just shoved it in with my hands and smooshed it around the pan until it covered it. It was not fun. It was sticky.
5) Combine the brown sugar and remaining cocoa and sprinkle over batter evenly.
Please ignore the giant chunks of brown sugar I was too lazy to crush.
6) Pour hot water over top (do not stir).
7) Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Sigh. Why must you look so good but taste so bad?!